Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sweetheart Ripple Afghan Started

I started the afghan from the Crochet World Feb 2009 magazine. {it's available online at e-patterns as a download}.
Close up of first few rows
Photobucket

I'm using Red Heart, Cherry Red and Soft White. Size H hook.



Photobucket
[clickable for larger photo]
Here's a close up (so I could use it as my cell phone wallpaper and my computer desktop wallpaper).
Photobucket

As you can see I didn't follow the pattern exactly. Because what happened is I was making the pattern, the first row of FPTC-SC and couldn't see the hearts. I was confused. I then stopped and even did a bit of the second row of off white to see if I could see them better. Nope. I looked at the picture as closely as possible, looked at the instructions, frogged (ripped out) the 2 rows and crocheted some of the row again. Still couldn't see the hearts. I wondered if there was a mistake in the pattern. So I changed the pattern, did the fptc-sc one stitch off with an extra 2 sc in the valley part. This gave it a heart look in the valley section. Then I did that entire row. Then the second row. And then it dawned on me.... the hearts are worked from the top to the point in the "hill" part of the ripple. I turned the photo in the magazine upside down and there is how my crochet would have looked. Well they didn't say that in the magazine, anywhere, so I was confused. But I like mine better because now I have hearts going both ways, the afghan won't be upside down or if it is, it won't matter because the hearts go both ways! I like it much better.
HOW I DID IT
Someone asked on crochetville how I did it, so here are the instructions:
I don't have the pattern with me so let me see if I can write this by memory...

To begin the fptr-sc row, I did a sc decrease, *fptr-sc (rep twice), 2 sc, then the increase of 3 sc in one stitch. 2 sc, fptr-sc (rep twice), 1 sc, skip 2 sc, 1 sc, rep from * across, ending with sc dec in last 2 stitches.

Then I just did the ripple for 3 rows. Doing the way I did it was easy to do the ripple.
Debbi


CONTINUED HERE:
Sweetheart Ripple Progress & Correcting Mistakes

Sweetheart Ripple Finished ! the finished afghan!
.
.

12 comments:

Laura said...

Debbi,

That afghan is really pretty so far! Thank you for visiting my blog!

Riohnna said...

Wow, how pretty!!!! I think yours is prettier.

Lesalicious said...

I was looking at that afghan myself in Crochet World and loved it. I also want to do it one day. Loving yours it's coming along great. :)

moonglow said...

That is so pretty!!

Sheri said...

Lol, I take closeup pictures of my crochet for the same reason.
Your hearts look great and I like the way they go up and down, too. This is a project I was ready to dive into, but life is getting in the way. Soon, I hope! When I do get started, I'll come back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Valula Hedgehog said...

Debbi - Thanks so much for his post, I was really baffled by my attempt at the pattern. Going to give your version a go, I like that it works both ways :-)

Emma

patty said...

hi could yo explain to some of us how start this is really pretty and i'm looking for knit one for my kids thanks

Debbi-a1 said...

Patty, I'm not sure how to do it in knit. In crochet it uses Front Post Double Crochet connected to a Single Crochet. The pattern is available in these 2 publications.

Annie's Attic #871070, Reversible Ripple Afghans (www.anniesattic.com)
Crochet World Magazine, February 2009 (http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=4883&cat_id=2&classification_id=M)