Sunday, December 30, 2012

Free Motion Quilting

Just to try it out, I free form quilted this potholder. I cut and sewed a patchwork quilt top and have a ton of squares left over. So I decided to pratice and make some potholders. I was going to use my walking foot, but midplaced it. This was fun though.

Some things I learned:
*slow speed is good. I had it set up a little above the middle speed on my machine and that was a bit fast. Plus I have long and short stitches (but it is my first one).
*plan before you start. I just sort of winged it. But that did make it fun. When I'm better I'll try to wing it.
*when doing this type of edge, cut the backing extra large.
*set the needle in the down position so when you stop you can turn easily (I was lifting the presser foot as I have on other types of sewing but not sure if that's necessary). My machine requires me to turn the hand dial so the needles in the down position, then press a button which will keep it in memory (ETA this part as I forgot about this until I watached another video--and realized mine isn't too bad).




You might be able to tell in the picture below, but I started from one corner and did a spiral of sorts to the center (need to learn how to end--back to watching more videos on the internet).

5 comments:

Deborah Cee said...

I'll add this link to the comment section so others can add theirs links or ideas or tips here too. Keep the post clean too.

There's 4 tutorials on free motion quilting. The second is completely on the basting spray, which doesn't sound too bad as I pinned mine and the first pin got in the way.
Shows how to start and stop the "quilting" too (I needed that instruction).

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

Anonymous said...

do you have other favorite instructional sewing videos???

Momma said...

if only I would have been signed in when I posted that :P so now I will post again so I will be able to follow... :D

Deborah Cee said...

I've just looked at websites. That was really the only one I found.

Deborah Cee said...

Oh check out my Pinterest board on quilting. http://Pinterest.com/debb1a/quilt
I have several links.