Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Storing Sewing Patterns After Using

I can never get the pieces back in the original envelope. Even after cutting off all the excess from cutting out patterns. I even tried to dry-iron the folds on this one I didn't use. Basically I use a gallon size zipper bag (I like the kind with sliders so I know it's closed). I put the front envelope in front and the instructions with number and pictures facing back, this way I can see at a glance if there's something I want to do again. I press out most of the air so it's flat as possible.

So here's how I store them. So far it works.



Monday, February 18, 2013

February 2013 SAL - Pants

For this Sew A Long, February is pants.  I made these.

Pattern: Simplicity 1808.
Fabric: Cotton, levi look.

I made a muslin and did not like some parts of it and changed it on the actual pattern.  I still didn't like the waistband, even though I changed it.  These fit me good, even on the muslin.  It says "worn 1" below waist" and that works for me as I have a low waist.

These challenged me by:
*different pockets.  These were sewn in and part of it is used as the side seam. They're one big pocket and folded in half to create the front sewn to the side and waistband.
*pleats.  I hadn't done these since 8th grade when I couldn't even do those on a simple apron and they were large pleats.  I had to unpick one set on the final pants because they were all facing the same way.  Googling pictures it looks like they face out.  So I unpicked the basting.
*waistband.  I hadn't really done one.  This was so odd, someone on patterns review changed it too.  I would change it again if I do these again.

These are fairly easy.  I did the muslin and final project over a 3 day weekend, including going shopping and 4 small loads of laundry (I have a small apartment washer/drier--okay one is in the drier still).  And on the muslin I only did a straight stitch on most of it because I didn't wnt to spend the time picking out the stitch I use for edges which is harder to take out.



Close up below to show the details.  I added some decorative stitches.  The pockets on the muslin didn't seem to stay in, so I added it to both set.

Here's the close up of the muslin, just so you can see the difference.  I used a "contrasting" thread so I could see how the stitches line up on the muslin and what I may need to change on the final pants.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crochet Hearts and Roses

Crocheted some hearts and roses.

The hearts on my wall at work:
I used the same, simple pattern from last year.  One round.  Easy.
http://cornflowerbluestudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-crochet-heart-photo-tutorial.html?m=1


The Rose:
I didn't follow a pattern but saw several like it.  It's one long chain, then I did several SC in each sttitch, then a few HDC in several chains, then DC, then TRC.  In the first one when I changed stitches, I did 3 stitches in one chain.  The TRC didn't roll as much as the others, so I think I did more.  Then I rolled it up and sewed it together.


I made 3 more hearts and  a lady gave me a dishtowel.  So I put the dishtowel up in my cabinet to hang over with the under lighting and she suggested I pin the hearts on the dishtowel. This is a picture of one with the cute bear in a snow globe I found at the dollar store (yes there's one behind. I got it from Avon years ago, I believe it's a happiness angel or something like that).